Back in January I was honored to be selected to join the 2019 spring class of the Premiership Rugby coaching development scholarship. Myself and the other scholarship recipients are starting to make our way from the USA to London, England for a 6-day rugby experience unlike any other.
At the end of the trip, the we will have earned our level 300 coaching certification from USA Rugby.
Although there are just a few days remaining before we begin our training on Sunday, a lot of the curriculum remains a mystery. However, we have been given an overall itinerary. Not surprisingly, five of the six days will be spent either at a Premiership Rugby fixture or training with one of three professional teams in the greater London area.
For those of you out there considering applying for the fall class, I thought it might be interesting to share the schedule we’ve been provided (below).
I’ll be blogging daily about these experiences so be sure to click the SUBSCRIBE button above to receive email updates in your INBOX.
Level 300 Itinerary — Premiership Rugby coaching development scholarship
- Sunday – Match Day 1, Northampton Saints vs. Saracens
- Flights arrive Sunday morning and we’ll all be settling into our rooms at Bisham Abbey National Sports Centre (about 90 minutes west of London) by lunch time.
- In the afternoon we’ll attend the Premiership Cup final between Northampton Saints vs. Saracens.
- After dinner we have an in-class session to introduce to the Level 300 course work.
- Monday — Course work and visit to Rugby School
- The morning has some course work and then a tour of the town of Rugby and presumably Rugby School.
- Tuesday — Practice Day 1, Harlequins
- This looks to be on-site with Harlequins F.C. It’s not clear if this will be at Twickenham Stoop (their home pitch) or another location.
- We’ve been told to bring cleats and training gear, so it’s likely that we’ll be doing practical work today.
- Wednesday — Television appearance & sightseeing
- Wednesday is a busy day, but the only curriculum piece is a classroom session in the morning.
- In the afternoon, we’ll be sightseeing in London.
- In the evening we’re making an appearance on Rugby Tonight, a popular rugby show put on by a local sports TV network (BT Sport).
- Thursday — Practice Day 2, London Irish
- Thursday is another practice day. We’ll spend the afternoon with the London Irish.
- In the morning we’ll be touring around the Twckenham stadium area.
- Friday — Practice Day 3, Saracens
- Friday is pretty focused and similar to Tuesday, except we’ll be training with the Saracens (apparently in the heart of downtown London).
- Saturday —Match Day 2, Gallagher Premiership
- Is our last day of official curriculum.
- The morning is free, and we have a Gallagher Premiership match at midday.
- The evening looks to be closing ceremonies and such
- Sunday — Travel day
- Return home.